This years chicks have arrived at the Coop, and we are happy as all get out.
It started nearly a month ago when the broody gal hatched one egg from 20. This was my fault in two ways: 1. I only let the rooster 3 days to fertilize my 8 hens, and 2, I didn’t wait long enough to let the eggs hatch.
On the 22 day after I put the eggs under the broody hen, I discarded the eggs figuring the rooster did not have success in those three days. But I was wrong, I realized very quickly there were 3 of the 20 eggs that had chicks just about to hatch! I rushed them back under the hen who I had just pissed off by taking her eggs. One made it, one huge mistake made.
Now I know to wait a few days past the 21 days as any number of things may cause a later hatch.
Even if all three would have made it, it was not enough to keep my flock cycled for the year. Thus, I picked up a cheap incubator and put thirty eggs in it.
The rest is history, and I can expect two culling’s this year since none of the new guys will be laying eggs for another 5-6 months. As soon as the new roosters are broiler size, all but one will hit the freezer. Then, as the new hens start to lays eggs the old flock will hit the freezer.
My maximum number of chickens in this system is 5 laying hens, 6 pre-layers, and a rooster. Higher than twice what I had originally planned… when I was not considering flock rotation. That means through the Winter I will have only 6 chickens, through spring to early Summer its chicks and hens, then late Summer through Fall its 12 chickens: 6 waiting for the end, 5 waiting for full-time egg production, and a rooster.
Cool, well I hope that gives you something useful, and maybe the video will too.
And for the song of the post: a slow start for a techno tart, perfect for dancing into the Catalysts heart. Boyz Noize, Oh! Oh! Ya be alright, be alright.